Wednesday 2 January 2008

Ouch

Friday, 21 December 2007

A supplementary note from Euston Station.

Ouch. Aargh! My Wretched Young Persons' Portable Phonographic Device is on Random Pleyel. It was turned up quite loud as I was in a bit of a run of gentle classical and other quite calm music. Imagine then the, er, electrifying effect of Herbert Grönemeyer suddenly announcing, with great clarity and at truly excessive volume, the next song at some stadium concert somewhere. It was essentially as if he was actually there in the café and had snuck up very quietly right behind me during some nice Renaissance polyphony, then suddenly shouted "Land Unter!" directly at the back of my head from a distance of 20cm. Sheesh. I think I may have actually gone "Gah!" like a Dilbert character, executed a quite acceptable vertical takeoff, and hovered for a moment or two, in a twinkly cloud of croissant crumbs, before crashing back down to table height. Herbie. Mensch! Don't do that!

2 comments:

R said...

Thought you'd like to know that I'vejust reread this and had a bloody good laugh...

Strawberryyog said...

Yes I am indeed pleased to know it. It still makes me laugh, to be honest. And there is no (or little) hyperbole - it really was that acute an effect that it shocked me out of my skin for a second. :)