Tuesday 1 January 2008

Gig-a-Blog™ (Anakay Koshka and Alan Brown, St Anne & St Agnes)

Friday, 30 November 2007

Anakay Koshka (violin) and Alan Brown (piano): Beethoven, Sonata No 2 Op 12 in A major; Brahms: Violin Concerto Op 77 in D major

Beethoven

Oh dear my notes are in a mess. But amongst other things I said that the first movement was "dynamic but light, witty" and that the Andante piu tosto was poised and gorgeous.

Oh and I seem to have thought that the Allegro piacevole offered "bright simplicity with moments of darker, more complex passion." But then what do I know, eh?

Brahms

An exciting, passionate performance. I'm never sure about concerto transcriptions but this was a rather elegant argument in their favour. The slow movement here was particularly striking.

This was a very enjoyable concert and I'm glad I dragged my reluctant bones down the road to listen. 

No comments: