Wednesday 4 February 2009

Blogging

I seem very short of time at the moment, one way or another, and this blog is getting neglected. This is annoying as there are quite a few things about which I'd like to write. I will have to try to reorganize myself and make time somehow. I apologize to readers for the shoddy service.

Maybe I need to have another little crisis about what gets written up in full, what gets truncated into sketchy notes, and what gets dropped altogether: this got me through the St Anne's Gig-A-Blog backlog quite well and might serve for other topics. Watch this space.

They're dreadful truisms but it doesn't mean they're not true:

  • Striving for perfection is sometimes (often/always) the enemy of getting it done at all (yes blatant and bad paraphrase I know but hey)[1].
  • if you are trying to write you really need to write something every day, whether or not you feel like it. Otherwise your writing muscles start to atrophy.

It does not help that I am currently surrounded by malfunctioning computer equipment, at work and home both, and every time I try to do something ... anything ... either something else breaks, or I break the internet, or the end falls off ... gah! This is known as the Reverse Midas Touch.

Note:

  1. Oh alright I knew I couldn't let myself get away with that. Bl**dy nitpicker. Here we go: Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien, Voltaire, from Dictionnaire Philosophique (1764) "The best is the enemy of the good", but often rendered as "The perfect is the enemy of the good." Which is kinda sorta nearly what I nearly said, n'est-ce pas?

No comments: