Wednesday 19 March 2008

Gig-a-Blog™ (Elona Laurie and Christina McMaster, St Anne & St Agnes)

Friday, 14 March 2008

Elona Laurie, violin; Christina McMaster, piano; Franck: Sonata in A Major for Violin and Piano, Ravel: bits and bobs. 

Franck: I'd done my homework a bit for this gig, having "downloaded" and even listened to a phonographic recording of the Franck. Sure, it's not exactly a full study-retreat but it is certainly better than the woeful state of ignorance from which I usually approach music like this.

[...]

Fantastic slow movement.

Last movement: one of Deb's students is doing this at present and I seem to know it rather better than I thought! Lovely performance from today's artists.

Ravel:

Ondine: beautiful, flowing (aha)

Tzigane: flash, clever. To me this music is somewhat less appealing than the Franck. Have I got Ravel-intolerance?

A very nice recital, and I'm sorry my notes are so rubbish.

No comments: